K-State’s Phillip Brooks named to Preseason All-Big 12 Team

0
143
Phillip Brooks breaks free and runs for a large gain. The Wildcats lost 31-12 against Baylor on Oct 5, 2019. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

The honors and awards add up for Kansas State kick and punt returner Phillip Brooks, as he was named to the All-Big 12 preseason team as a kick and punt returner ahead of the 2021 season.

The honors are nothing new to the junior from Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Brooks was also named a preseason All-American by Phil Steele and received honors as a 2020 First-Team All-Big 12 kick and punt returner at the end of this past season.

Brooks enters his third season with the Wildcats ranked second in school history and tied for sixth in Big 12 history with three career punt-return touchdowns. Brooks finished the 2020 season with a 23.7-yard punt return average that earned him Third-Team All-American honors. He would have led the nation if he had one more punt return to meet the NCAA required minimum amount of returns.

Brooks’ 2020 campaign was charged by his performance against Kansas, where he returned two punts for touchdowns and racked up 189 punt return yards. His two punt return touchdowns were the most in Big 12 history for a conference game.

Brooks earned Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance against Kansas — his 47.25-yard punt return average the highest by any player in the nation with a least four attempts since 1996.

K-State football will continue preparing for the 2021 season by participating in the 2021 Academy Sports + Outdoors Big 12 Media Days next week on Wednesday, July 14 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

K-State returns to Arlington on Sept. 4 to kick off the 2021 college football season against Stanford.