Countdown to Kickoff: 57 days away with linebacker Beau Palmer

0
229
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Beau Palmer, the 6 foot 2 inches, 219-pound redshirt freshman linebacker from Overland Park, Kansas, played at Blue Valley High School under head coach Allen Terrell before coming to Kansas State.

Palmer earned first-team all-state honors from the Topeka Capital-Journal and Kansas Football Coaches Association during his senior season in 2019.

Also as a senior, Palmer totaled 80 tackles, adding to his 161 total tackles throughout his career. Palmer also had four forced fumbles, a blocked punt returned for a touchdown and one pick-six.

Aside from football, Palmer also lettered in track and field while in high school.

After his senior year, Palmer was rated a two-star athlete and was ranked as the 170th best inside linebacker in the country. He was also the 24th ranked player in Kansas by 24/7 Sports.

Palmer received offers from nine other schools during his recruiting process, including Augustana, Central Missouri, Fort Hays State, Missouri Baptist, Missouri Western, Pittsburg State, Washburn and Western Illinois.

He announced his decision to commit to K-State as a walk-on through Twitter on Jan. 22, 2020.

“[Beau Palmer], there’s a young man that leads the team right now in strips and punches,” Steve Stanard, K-State linebackers coach, said during a press conference this past March. “If you watch him out there running around on the practice field, he’s always by the football. His cardio base must be tremendous because he does not take a play off, and we compliment him on it all the time.”

Palmer redshirted his freshman year and did not see any game action during the 2020 season.

Palmer — who is still on walk-on status with the Wildcats — has a ways to go before he sees the field, with older teammates like Cody Fletcher and Daniel Green starting at the linebacker position for the moment.