Countdown to Kickoff: 51 days away with offensive lineman Talor Warner

0
112
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Standing at 6 foot 3 inches and weighing 292 pounds, Talor Warner signed to play at Kansas State in December 2019 and arrived on campus in fall 2020.

A three-star recruit according to 247Sports, Warner played under head coach Ryan Cornelsen in Gardner, Kansas, helping the Gardner-Edgerton Trailblazers go 10-1 in 2018 and an 8-2 in 2019.

Warner gathered many accolades during his high school career. He was voted a first-team all-state lineman his junior and senior year by the Topeka Capital-Journal and Wichita Eagle. He was also a first-team selection as a senior from the Kansas Football Coaches Association and a First Team All-Simone Team pick as one of the top prep players in the Kansas City area.

After his senior year, Warner clocked in at No. 224 in 247Sport’s Top 247 for the Class of 2020 — the highest-ranked future Wildcat since 2013.

Warner received offers from nine other schools, including NDSU and Illinois State, but ultimately chose to stay in Kansas.

“Talor is as good as an athlete as I have seen at the high school level coming into the fold for college,” head coach Chris Kleiman said during the 2019 signing day. “Obviously he has to continue to gain some weight and get a little bit stronger.”

While Warner did not see any action in 2020, he has shown progress in practice.

“Talor Warner and Witt Mitchum, you’re starting to see those things in them. They are now understanding techniques and understanding concepts a little bit better,” offensive line coach Conor Riley said in a press conference this past November. “Getting them involved, whether it’s 12 plays on a Tuesday or 15 plays on a Wednesday, are going to increase their development. With some much more time this spring, I’m excited about them all.”

After impressing the coaches, Warner might see playing time this season behind older teammates Ben Adler, Cooper Beebe and Dawson Delforge.