Countdown to Kickoff: 49 days away with defensive end Andrew Schmelzle

0
176
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Coming to the Kansas State football team out of Sabetha, Kansas, No. 49 Andrew Schmelzle is a 6 foot 4 inch, 207-pound defensive end.

As a three-year letter winner at Sabetha High School, Schmelzle recorded 184 career tackles with the Bluejays, including 79 in his senior season and two sacks. Schmelzle was also a force on offense, rushing for 806 yards and five touchdowns. He had 618 receiving yards and seven touchdowns throughout his career.

Schmelzle earned all-state honors in his last two seasons with the Bluejays from the Topeka Capital-Journal and Wichita Eagle, including first-team honors his senior season. He was a multi-sport athlete at Sabetha, competing in basketball and baseball as well.

Schmelzle helped Sabetha win a state championship during his sophomore season while playing with current K-State defensive tackle Elliott Strahm.

Out of high school, Schmelzle received interest from many schools outside of Kansas, including Columbia and Eastern Michigan. He also received offers from Akron and Tulane and originally committed to the University of North Dakota.

Schmelzle ultimately de-committed from North Dakota and secured a preferred walk-on spot for the Wildcats. He made his decision official with a tweet at the start of this year on Jan. 21.

Schmelzle’s commitment to K-State gained a lot of attention, with many people noting how big of a pickup this was for the Wildcats.

As a preferred walk-on, Schmelzle might have to wait before he sees the field, with upperclassmen Khalid Duke, Bronson Massie and others still ahead of him on the depth chart.

If Schmelzle does see the field this season, his first shot is Sept. 4 in Arlington, Texas.