Countdown to Kickoff: 37 days away with linebacker Krew Jackson, tight end Andrew Sonner

0
96
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Krew Jackson is a 6 foot 5 inch, 198-pound true freshman linebacker coming to Kansas State out of Queen Creek, Arizona.

While at Queen Creek High School, Jackson played for coach Travis Schureman. As a prospect, he was ranked the No. 75 safety by 247 Sports and the No. 17 prospect in Arizona. Jackson was also rated as a three-star athlete and was ranked the No. 14 best player in Arizona by Rivals.

In his final two high school seasons, he tallied 138 tackles, two interceptions and three pass deflections. He was a member of the Academic All-State team his senior year.

Jackson held offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, Boston College, Brigham Young, Iowa State, Michigan State, Northern Arizona, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, UNLV, Virginia and Washington State before choosing the Wildcats.

Jackson made his commitment to K-State official with a tweet on Aug. 25, 2020.

As a true freshman coming into the 2021 season, it might take some time before Jackson sees significant playing time on the field.

The second player on today’s countdown to kickoff profile is Andrew Sonner, a 6 foot 3 inch, 233-pound true freshman walk-on tight end from Olathe, Kansas.

Sonner played at Olathe East under head coach Jesse Owen. He was named to the All-League team and is one of two Olathe East players on the K-State roster, joining defensive end Nate Matlack.

While Sonner didn’t make an official commitment statement on his Twitter, he did highlight his visit to Manhattan by thanking coaches Chris Klieman and Collin Klein and director of recruiting Taylor Braet.

Sonner also competed in basketball while at Olathe East and plans on majoring in mechanical engineering.