Countdown to Kickoff: 27 days away with defensive back Cameron Key, fullback Jake Huggins

0
105
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Cameron Key is a junior walk-on defensive back and three-year letter winner from Bishop Miege High School in Overland Park, Kansas.

In 2017, he was named to the first-team all-state team by the Kansas Football Coaches Association, Topeka Capital-Journal and Wichita Eagle. The Wichita Eagle also named him to the honorable mention all-state team in 2016.

While in high school, Key totaled 197 tackles, six interceptions and 40 pass breakups. He also returned punts and tallied 296 yards and two touchdowns in 2017.

Key was teammates with current Wildcat’s Taylor Poitier and Landry Weber during high school as well. He made his commitment to Kansas State official through Twitter on Jan. 26, 2018.

This past season, Key played in four games split between defense and special teams for K-State. He had three tackles for the season, two coming in the Kansas game. He was also named to the All-Academic Big 12 team. Key did not see any game action during the 2019 season.

Key’s hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed though, earning multiple honors from the football team while at K-State. Those awards include the 2018 Overachiever Award and the Core Values of the Week “tough” award.

Jake Huggins is a walk-on sophomore fullback from Cumming, Georgia, and is the brother of current Wildcat defensive tackle Eli Huggins.

Huggins was named to the All-Region team at West Forsyth High School under head coach Shawn Cahill. Huggins helped the Wolverines to a 6-6 record and a trip to the second round in the state playoff tournament.

Huggins made his commitment to K-State in 2019 and signed in April of the same year.

Huggins redshirted in 2019 and did not see any action in 2020. With Jax Dineen and Mason Barta ahead of him on the depth chart, it might take time before he sees the field.