JMC and WTC Communications to host first-ever Esports Rocket League Tournament

0
126
(Photo courtesy of Lane Lindhorst | WTC Communications)

Wildcat 91.9 and WTC communications are hosting the first annual Wildcat 91.9/WTC Fiber Cup. The A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications will use this opportunity to teach media students how to cover Esports events with play-by-play and color commentary.

“The goal of the event is to teach sports broadcasters how better to cover the play-by-play and commentary of an Esports tournament,” Ian Punnett, professor of practice and chief operator and faculty advisor for Wildcat 91.9, said.

Run by the K-State Esports Club, the event will be live-streamed on Twitch, covered by JMC Ambassadors on social media and on the radio by Wildcat 91.9.

Students can sign up at https://tinyurl.com/KSURocketLeague or show up from 4-6 p.m. on Friday before the event starts.

The tournament will start at 6 p.m. on Friday and continue at 9 a.m. on Saturday until a winner is decided at Forum Hall in the Student Union. The winning team will receive $150 and a trophy, while the runners-up will receive $75.

The overall winners of the tournament will face off against the top Rocket League team from the K-State Esports club in an exhibition match.

Participants will be required to bring their own controller if they wish to participate.