Baseball releases fall schedule

0
115
First baseman, Dylan Phillips, homered to right center and Wildcat's bench celebrates. Kansas State baseball capped off the weekend by defeating Oklahoma 8-3 at Tointon Family Stadium on April 18, 2021. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State head baseball coach Pete Hughes announced the team is hosting exhibition games against the Omaha Mavericks and the Crowder College Roughriders in addition to its annual ALS Halloween game and Fall World Series.

The Wildcats will face off against the Mavericks at Tointon Family Stadium at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 15. It will be the 14th matchup between the two teams, with K-State leading the all-time series 12-2.

The Mavericks finished narrowly under .500 this past season with a 22-25 (14-12 Summit League) record, while the Wildcats finished with a 34-23 record, ending the season strong with two top-10 wins against No. 5 Texas Tech and No. 8 TCU in the final three games of Big 12 tournament play.

K-State takes on Crowder College at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 22. The Roughriders placed in the semi-finals of the 2021 NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series as the number one overall seed in the tournament after racking up a 55-8 regular-season record.

The Wildcats will wrap October up with their annual ALS Halloween Game on Saturday, Oct. 30 (TBD). The game is part of the program’s 19 Ways, which helps raise money and awareness for ALS and consists of players and coaches dressing up in Halloween costumes for a friendly scrimmage.

The Wildcats will finish the fall schedule with their annual Fall World Series, a three-game intrasquad series set for November 5-7.

The Fall World Series opener is scheduled for a 6 p.m. first pitch on Friday, Nov. 5, and Game 2 is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 6. If a Game 3 is necessary, it will take place at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 7, in a winner-take-all.

K-State returns 12 letter winners from this past season’s team, including starters Dylan Phillips, Nick Goodwin, Connor McCullough and Terrence Spurlin.

All of K-State baseball’s fall season events are free. Face coverings are recommended for all fans in attendance.