Moving Costs That Are Easy to Overlook

0
24

Whether you are moving across town or the country, several costs can be easy to overlook. You likely know you will need to pay for a moving company, but not all the expenses might be that obvious. These will add up quickly if you are not prepared to budget for them. Consider researching a renter’s guide to apartment hunting if you are planning to rent so that you can pick a place based on facts and not just aesthetics. This way, your budget can be created based on actual data, giving you less of a chance for costly surprises down the road.

Paying for a Move 

It’s a good idea to start budgeting for this time now. You might create a separate area in your budget for this so you can start setting aside a little each month. Look for other places where you can save money so you are still living within your means. For example, if you have a life insurance policy you no longer need, you could consider selling that. Are you wondering how much is my life insurance policy worth? You can review a guide on how to determine the value. 

Getting Insurance

If any of your items are valuable or antiques, you might want moving insurance to protect you further. So, if anything happens to these items, you will be covered. Of course, you will want to see if your renter’s or homeowner’s insurance will cover moving. Another type of insurance that might change is your car insurance. Different locations have different car insurance prices, so check with your company to see if you might have to pay more. 

Usually, urban areas have higher premiums than rural ones, so check with the company to see your rates. Even health insurance could change in price. If you are going to a new state, you might need to find a new company, or the plan might be different. That’s because different states have varying laws on this. Trying to pay for health care out of pocket can add up quickly, so it’s a good idea to have some coverage since that can save you money.

The Cost of Supplies

If you rent, your lease might stipulate that you need to clean the apartment before moving out. If you don’t have enough cleaning supplies on hand, you will need to purchase these. The other option is to hire a professional cleaning company to come in and do the work. It’s a good idea to keep up with the housework, even as you are trying to move out, so it is not such a big chore in the end. There will also be the cost of moving supplies, such as boxes, wrapping paper, and tape. You might be able to get some boxes for free. Sometimes, people who have recently moved post their gently used supplies for free on social media groups.

Replacing Anything, You Did Not Take

The more you have to move, the more it will cost, so you might not want to take everything with you. It is common to declutter before moving day to eliminate paying to move things that you may end up throwing out once you are in your next home. However, if you decide to replace these items, there will be some expense to do so. You might find you need these things when you get to your new place.