Baseball releases schedule ahead of 2022 season

0
186
K-State starter Dylan Phillips runs to first after an RBI, ending the day with two hits. K-State took the series with an 11-3 Win over WMU at Tointon Family Stadium on Feb. 27, 2021. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State begins the 2022 campaign on the road Feb. 18-20 at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown, a round-robin competition at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas. The opening game is against reigning 2021 College World Series contender the Arizona Wildcats, Big 10 opponent Michigan Wolverines and the Auburn Tigers of the SEC.

Following the Showdown is an eight-game slate in California, playing a series against SCU Bakersfield, a solo game at Cal State Fullerton and a series at Loyola Marymont. The journey in California ends March 6 before heading home to play former Big 12 rival Nebraska on March 8 at Tointon Family Stadium.

Nebraska is the first game of a four-game home-stand for the Wildcats. After facing the Cornhuskers, the Wildcats face Central Connecticut State — an unfamiliar matchup for both squads.

K-State will play a rematch from this fall’s first exhibition game against the Omaha Mavericks in Omaha, Nebraska, on March 15 before returning to Tointon for matchups against Morehead State (March 18-20) and Air Force (March 22-23).

The Wildcats then travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to open Big 12 play against the TCU Horned Frogs in a three-game series. K-State won this past season’s series (2-1) against at the time No. 5 TCU in May before being eliminated by the then-No. 8 Horned Frogs in Big 12 tournament play.

After that, K-State will get a short breather against Northern Colorado before playing potentially ranked Oklahoma State and Creighton at Tointon Family Stadium. The three opponents mark another long home-stand, this time a six-game stand.

Following the home-stand, the Wildcats dive deep into a thick challenge against two more potentially ranked opponents. K-State earned its first top-five series victory in the Pete Hughes era against No. 5 Texas Tech in Manhattan this past season. However, the Wildcats were handled by the Texas Longhorns in Austin, Texas. Both series’ will challenge the 12 returning letter winners.

K-State will then face in-state opponent Wichita State in a solo game before playing Omaha in another solo game.

The Wildcats will have their hands full again towards the end of April, playing against UC Irvine and offensive powerhouse Oklahoma. K-State won this past season’s series against the Sooners 2-1.

K-State will face off in another solo game against Wichita State on May 3, then the Sunflower Showdown against KU on May 6-8. These two in-state games are during a seven-game home-stand. The Wildcats will face Baylor to conclude the home schedule for the 2022 season.

K-State will finish on the road at Hughes’ former team Virginia Tech, followed by West Virginia and the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship tournament, which has been moved from Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City to Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas.