Baseball team displays talent in Fall World Series

0
99
The K-State baseball team played against each other in the annual Fall World Series. (Elizabeth Sandstrom | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State baseball held its annual Fall World Series November 5-7. Team Grey won the series (2-1) against Team Purple, outscoring Team Purple 18-3 in games one and two. However, K-State’s entire team manufactured a plethora of highlights, generating excitement for the 2022 season.

Between both squads, the offense racked up 22 RBIs, with Team Grey owning the majority. Team Grey defeated Team Purple 10-2 in the first scrimmage and won 8-1 in game two.

The offense also tallied five home runs between both teams. Team Grey smashed the first home run of the series with an opposite-field bomb to right field. In game two, senior Austin Garrett and junior Cole Johnson smacked a pair of two-run homers in the top of the seventh inning, Garrett’s two at-bats before Johnson’s.

In game three, sophomore Nick Goodwin hit a solo shot to dead center field in the top of the first inning for Team Purple, and senior Jeff Heinrich hit one out over the left-field wall in the bottom of the third.

Team Grey led the stat line in stolen bases as well with the only stolen base in game one and edged Purple out 2-1 in stolen bases in game two. In game three, Purple had the only stolen base. Catchers on both sides threw out runners stealing as well, three times total.

Pitching in the three games totaled 46 strikeouts between both squads: 17 each in games one and three and 12 in game two.

Sophomores Connor McCullough and Christian Ruebeck started game one on the mound — McCullough on Team Grey and Ruebeck on Team Purple. Game two featured Arkansas transfer Blake Adams on Team Grey and German Fajardo on Team Purple. In game three, Jackson Wentworth got the call for Team Grey, while Griffin Hassall started for Team Purple.

There were flashes of defensive highlights with a couple 5-4-3 double plays, as well infield diving stops that led to fielder’s choices. A couple errors were made by outfielders and catchers, but as a whole, the team looked clean.

Purple managed to avoid a sweep with a 3-2 win in game three. Goodwin’s home run in the first and RBI sacrifice fly in the sixth were accompanied by a passed ball in the fourth — just enough to edge Team Grey.

Afterward, the team continued 19-Ways with the annual Shave For The Brave event, where players and coaches shave their heads to spread awareness of cancer. K-State is back-to-back-to-back champions in the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation’s College Baseball vs. Cancer fundraising campaign, raising over $93,000 over the past three years, according to K-State Athletics.

The Fall World Series is the conclusion of the Wildcat’s fall schedule. K-State’s next event is the season opener of the 2022 season against 2020 College World Series contender Arizona on Feb. 18 at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas.