Five Tips for Choosing the Right Spearfishing Equipment

0
16

When choosing the right spearfishing equipment, you need to be sure of a few things. As a spear fisherman for over 20 years and spear maker for six years, I have learned what works, what doesn’t and why. If you’ve ever been out spearfishing or shopping for the proper gear, you’ll find that there are not a lot of choices when it comes to making a purchase. As with most things for the spear fisherman, there is not a lot of competition in this area. The thing you should know when choosing your gear is that as basic as it may seem, there are A LOT of factors that are important when choosing the right gear and tackle.

Be Familiar with fishing waters.

Before going on a fishing trip, you should find out which kind of fish you want to hunt. Every species has its feeding grounds and habits, so you should be as prepared as possible.

The best way to find out about the fish in your area is to start asking around. Talk to local fishing enthusiasts and see what they have to say. Another thing you should keep in mind is the time of the year when you’re planning on doing spearfishing. Every season brings changes in water temperature, and different water temperatures mean different types of fish. Knowing this information is crucial because it will determine what gear you need to bring with you.

Choose your gear wisely.

The spearfishing kit is your arsenal of choice when going down below water level to catch a fish. There are many different designs, brands and types of spearguns.

• Weight

Depending on the depth of the water, you’ll want to match your equipment to the weight of the water. A heavy spear gun is not recommended for shallow water fishing, and a lighter weighted spear gun is not recommended for deep water fishing. What you’ll need depends on where you are and what you want to catch.

Bonus Point: Spearfishing dive weights are an important part of any spearfishing diving equipment. Not only can dive weights for spearfishing help you sink quicker and stay down longer, but they can also help to conserve your energy and make spearfishing dives easier and more enjoyable.

• Strength

The most important thing you should know about your fishing spear is its strength. You have to make sure that your spear will be able to do the job of stabbing your fish without the rod itself breaking. Ensure the stainless steel is 316 grade and the fiberglass portion is not brittle.

• Read the description of the spearfishing kit.

This is an important aspect of choosing the right spearfishing equipment. Even though there are quite a few variants of spearfishing equipment on the market, you will still find that they fit into one of two categories.

The first category includes spearguns with a fixed blade and shaft. In some cases, there can be telescopic spears, but for the sake of simplicity, let’s focus on the fixed spear design.

Wrapping Up

Spearfishing equipment should be chosen to match the depth and size of the water body. For example, while spearfishing in shallow-water coral reefs, you need to keep your gear lightweight and compact. The gear should be well-coated with rubber, making the gear safe for you to use in direct contact with marine life.

On the other hand, when you are going for deepwater spearfishing, you need to choose items designed for diving. While choosing the gears, keep in mind to choose safe equipment that helps you get your catch.