Women’s basketball cruises past Omaha on the road

0
179
The Wildcat bench cheers for their teammates against NDSU on Nov. 29, 2021. (Archive photo by Kendall Spencer | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State women’s basketball rode on four double-figure scoring nights to an 87-56 win over the Omaha Mavericks in Omaha, Nebraska on Wednesday night.

The Wildcats started the game hot and never looked back. They controlled the opening tip, sending the ball immediately to junior Ayoka Lee at the block, who hit a turnaround jump-shot over her defender for a quick lead.

On the ensuing possession, freshman Brylee Glenn stole the ball and K-State got another point from the free-throw line, leading 10-5 less than two minutes into the game. The Wildcats wound up shooting 80 percent in the first quarter and led 36-9 at the end of the first quarter.

It was more of the same coming out of the break. K-State nailed back-to-back three-pointers to force Omaha to use a quick timeout. It slowed K-State down a little, but not nearly enough. The Wildcats rattled off a 12-0 run over the next few minutes to push their lead to 35 points.

K-State would take a 56-24 lead into halftime behind 11-19 three-point shooting and 58 percent overall shooting in the first half.

The Wildcat 2-3 zone defense was suffocating in the first half, holding Omaha to 35 percent shooting and forcing 10 turnovers. The Mavericks figured it out a little in the second half, but it was too late.

In the third quarter, K-State managed to push its lead all the way to 42 points before taking a 74-36 lead into the final stanza.

Four Wildcats — Lee (19), freshmen Jaelyn Glenn (16) and Serena Sundell (12) and senior Laura Macke (10) — reached double figures in the game, with sophomore Rebekah Dalinger and Brylee Glenn right behind them with nine each.

Despite just four points, junior Emilee Ebert stuffed the stat sheet with eight rebounds and six assists. Both numbers lead all Wildcats. Lee and Ebert tied with eight rebounds.

K-State led for all but the first nine seconds of the game, with its largest lead at 42 points. The Wildcats shot 48 percent overall and a cool 50 percent from the three-point range to just 37 percent and 28 percent for Omaha, respectively. They outrebounded the Mavericks 35-30 and had 24 assists to just 10 turnovers.

The Wildcats will stay in the Summit League when they travel to Brookings, South Dakota, to take on South Dakota State on Saturday, Dec. 11. That will be the team’s last tune-up before playing Oregon in Manhattan on Dec. 18.

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.