The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

How to Survive at Work When Going Through a Divorce

Dealing with divorce seems to leave you no time and energy for personal life, work evolution, and care about yourself and your family. Still, your task is to find a way to combine divorce work to make ends meet and cover the expenses of the end-of-marriage period.

When going through a divorce, you may feel devastated and deprived of any enthusiasm to perform well at your workplace. So here are some ideas on how you can adjust your workday to manage your divorce and professional occupation successfully. 

Alert Your Management and HR

Your divorce process will include emotional ups and downs, busy days, hours of negotiations, and lack of agreement. It can all have a severe impact on the quality of your work. So, it will be easier both for you and your managers if you let them know the real reason for your temporary incompetence. Additionally, if you feel that you cannot cover the workload, you can ask your manager or HR to decrease it, move to an easier project temporarily, or get a consultant or assistant to help you. 

Keep Divorce Issues Away from Work

Divorce-related emails, messages, and calls can be a serious distraction from work and switch your concentration to personal issues in the middle of workdays. So, no matter whether you file for divorce in FL online or attend hearings in the local court, you need to separate all the divorce issues from your work tasks. Define a couple of hours a day that you can devote to your marriage termination procedures and deal with them before and after work. 

Find Your Peace Corner

You can be well prepared for your workday and have all the divorce issues under control, but some tiny-teeny detail may get you overwhelmed with emotions and memories. This will spoil your day, make you cry at the workplace, draw unnecessary attention, etc. To avoid such a disaster, you have to think about a peaceful corner. A cup of coffee at a distant table at the cafeteria, a walk around the office, ten minutes of silence in your car at the parking lot. Have any options at hand when you need to calm down and gather your thoughts to go back to work concentrated and well-organized. 

Know Who to Trust

You’d better keep things private at your workplace unless you want to draw unnecessary attention to yourself. If you need a close person to support and understand you during work time and advise how to survive a divorce, choose one or two trustworthy colleagues. If you spill the beans to the wrong person, you can become a topic for office gossip for another week. And, believe, not everyone will sympathize and encourage you. So, think twice before disclosing your family troubles at work.  

Have Ready Excuses

It is obvious that you cannot always have your smile plastered when going through a divorce. Your co-workers will notice that you are down, tired, and disappointed about something. So, you have to be ready that someone will ask you about the state of your things sooner or later. Then it is better to get equipped with sound excuses so that you don’t tell some extra details. Answer politely and explain in general words that you have some personal troubles. This will be enough to calm their interest down and don’t give the reasons for being discussed behind your back. 

Keep Yourself Busy

If you zone out at work, pitying yourself and getting depressed, this means you are not busy enough. Adjust your work timetable so that you have no time for emotional outbursts. Still, realize that lots of work will not heal your wounds or solve your personal issues. It will only distract you from your pain and disappointment for a certain time. 

Use Mood Boosters

Divorce stress and tension make it often difficult getting through work day and keeping up your productivity. That is why it is advised to get armed with mood and energy boosters ahead. Download inspiring music on your iPod and keep your headphones close to plug them when you are down, keep energy bars, sweets, dried fruits, or other treats you like on your work table, put some posters and inspiring phrases around your workplace. These little details will make your day at work a little more pleasant and simpler to cover. 

Care about Yourself

No methods will help you to stay well during your divorce work time unless you care about yourself. Sleep well and enough. Stick to a healthy meal plan. Take a walk during lunchtime and do other physical exercises regularly. Commit to your emotional and mental health by practicing yoga, meditation, religion. And see a doctor and therapist regularly to get professional help when you really need it. 

Donate to Kansas State Collegian

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kansas State University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.