Football finds 2022 quarterback in Nebraska transfer Adrian Martinez

0
1479

The Kansas State football team has been busy in the transfer portal during the winter season, including big pickups in JUCO defensive back Kobe Savage and NDSU/Virginia defensive back Josh Hayes. Hayes played under K-State head coach Chris Klieman while Klieman was still at NDSU, and Savage is among the highest-rated JUCO transfers in the nation.

The most notable transfer the Wildcats have grabbed is Nebraska transfer Adrian Martinez, who comes with one year of eligibility. Martinez is set to replace six-year K-State quarterback Skylar Thompson.

Martinez announced his decision to join the Wildcats through Twitter on Thursday, Dec. 18.

Among 16 total school records, Martinez is the all-time yards-leader at Nebraska, throwing for 8,491 yards and rushing for 2,301 in 39 games. Martinez is also the only Husker to be a team captain for three seasons.

Martinez’s girlfriend, Marisa Weichel, who plays soccer at K-State, was rumored to be a part of the process of committing to Manhattan.

Martinez doesn’t necessarily have the job over sophomores Will Howard and Jaren Lewis or freshman Jake Rubley, but if Martinez produces at the same level as he did at Nebraska, then the Wildcats are getting a top-notch player.

Catch the Wildcats as they take on LSU in the Tax Act Texas Bowl at 7:45 p.m. in Houston on Jan. 4, 2022. The game will air on ESPN, with updates and recaps available through the Collegian.