Collin Klein named offensive coordinator after Texas Bowl performance

0
991
Newly upgraded offensive coordinator Collin Klein gives advice to former K-State quarterback Alex Delton in the K-State Spring Game on April 25, 2015. (Archive photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State has elevated quarterbacks coach Collin Klein to offensive coordinator after the departure of Courtney Messingham following the final game of the regular season.

A former quarterback at K-State himself, Klein has been on the coaching staff for the Wildcats in two stints spanning a total of seven years. Klein led K-State to a 21-5 record and a Big 12 Title as the starting quarterback in 2011 and 2012.

He finished third in Heisman Trophy voting in 2012 and won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

“I loved his preparation. He had a great body of work,” Klieman said after beating LSU 42-20 in the Texas Bowl. “The guys love Collin Klein, and they’re going to play their tails off for Collin Klein. They should, because he’s K-State in my mind.”

In Klein’s lone game as offensive coordinator, the Wildcats amassed 442 yards on 64 plays for an excellent 7.1 yards per play in the 42-20 Texas Bowl victory.

“Over the course of the last month, Collin displayed the type of leadership and planning that put us in a position to execute and be successful in the bowl game against LSU,” head coach Chris Klieman said to K-State Sports. “He deserves this opportunity, and the constant dialogue and communication that he had with me and with our staff and players throughout the game and the entire bowl preparation period was something that really impressed me. Collin bleeds purple, and I am excited for him to lead our offense.”

The Wildcat offense will go into next season replacing long-time starting quarterback Skylar Thompson and a solid portion of the offensive line.

“My family and I are excited to serve in this new role and impact young men through the game of football,” Klein said to K-State Sports. “I absolutely love our players, staff and fans. We look forward to this challenge and are so thankful to Coach Klieman and our leadership for entrusting me with this responsibility. K-State is and has been a special part of our family, and we are so blessed the Lord has allowed us to continue to be a part of it. Go Cats!”

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.