In the past few years, CBD has rapidly become one of the most popular wellness supplements that are derived from the cannabis plant. CBD is believed to offer many health benefits, including pain relief, anxiety relief and anti-depressant properties. Despite this growing popularity, there is still some confusion about the legality of CBD, mainly from it being illegal for such a long time. As a result, many people have formed misconceptions about it. Luckily, there are fewer and fewer misconceptions as more states are legalizing recreational and medical marijuana, many allowing purchase with a certified medical marijuana card, as long as you are requested one. If you would like to know more about CBD and how to consume it, keep reading.
What exactly is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is the second-most prevalent main active ingredient in the cannabis plant. This ingredient is derived from the hemp plant and is a component of medical marijuana. The main method of extracting CBD is through a process known as CO2 extraction, which uses what is known as a closed-loop extractor that extracts essential oils for various things, such as perfumes and food additives. CBD has no psychoactive effects, which means that you will not experience any mind-altering effects when you consume this substance. You will, however, feel a sense of relaxation and calm in your body and mind. CBD has very mild effects on the brain receptors. However, it has many effects on the brain, including the ability to stop the brand mechanisms that contribute to seizures and increasing levels of anandamide in the brain, which helps with psychosis.
How is it different from THC?
THC is the ingredient in cannabis that people are most familiar with. This is one of the main active ingredients in the cannabis plant and is extracted in several ways, including with isopropyl. Unlike CBD, THC does have psychoactive effects, so when you consume this ingredient, you will experience mind-altering effects that come in a variety of forms based on the strain you consume. When you consume THC, it attaches to the cannabinoid receptors throughout the brain, which can cause impaired functioning and thinking.
What is the best way to consume it?
There are so many ways to consume CBD, including the following:
- Dab Rigs: Dab rigs are used to smoke concentrates and oils. While they might look like bongs, dab rigs use a different smoking method that creates smoother hits. A great selection of dabs is offered on the Daily High Club website.
- Joint: This is an inhalation method of consumption that involves smoking a hand-rolled joint. This process produces combustion, which releases harmful smoke into your lungs and has harmful health risks.
- Dry herb vaporizer: This is a battery-powered, handheld device that vaporizes cannabis herbs by heating them at a controlled temperature. No combustion makes this consumption method healthier than smoking a joint.
- Edibles: This involves food or drink products that contain cannabis. They are consumed orally and processed in the digestive system and liver, which produces long-lasting effects that are more intense.
- Tinctures: This is a liquid created by dissolving dry cannabis in alcohol. You consume this liquid sublingually by placing a few drops underneath your tongue for a few minutes and then proceeding to swallow.
Dry herb vaporizers are rising in popularity. However, if you want something healthy, edibles and tinctures are the way to go because there is no smoke or vapor involved.
Does it offer any benefits?
CBD is famed for the many medical conditions it can be used to treat. Some conditions you can treat with CBD include:
- Pain: CBD is mainly used to treat chronic pain and inflammation by acting on many biological processes in the body. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid receptor activity to reduce pain and inflammation effectively.
- Depression and anxiety: When consumed, CBD interacts with the serotonin activity in the brain, which shows to help with depression and anxiety. Cannabis is also a mood regulator, and CBD makes you calm and relaxed, helping with anxiety.
- Acne: CBD is rich in antioxidants — a key component of good skin health. Apart from that, CBD has anti-inflammatory properties helpful to those with acne.
Precautions to know
Before consuming CBD, you should consult with a doctor to understand how to dose based on your weight, tolerance and health condition. You should also never mix cannabis with any pharmaceutical drugs because this can create side effects.