Marketing Agency vs Consultancy – What’s The Difference?

Starting a business or a company entails hard work and discipline. No matter how good you are at what you do, there are always experts out there that can help you out. Hiring marketing agencies or consultancies are crucial to the success of any type of business. However, most bosses get stuck at deciding which one would work for the best. Here, we will talk about the differences between the two and the benefits each one can provide your business. For more information, you can always check out themarketingagency.ca.

What’s the Difference Between a Marketing Agency and a Consultancy?

At first glance, a marketing agency and a consultancy seem very similar. Both require hiring someone to do certain things for your company that you cannot otherwise handle yourself.

A consultancy usually relies on a single person to do the job. A consultant may have more experience handling clients individually as opposed to an entire business or company. A consultant may be what you’re looking for if you’re still figuring out your strategies and target audience.

Hiring a consultant also means that you would know the person who you’re dealing with since there’s usually just one. As such, you can build in-person relationships and communicate more effectively since you already know each other.

On the other hand, you must think big when it comes to a marketing agency. An agency will be able to help you with strategizing, planning, and executing your plans for your business or company.

The agency that you would hire should be able to answer all your questions and concerns. You will also be dealing with an entire agency and not just an individual with the second option.

If your company is getting bigger by the minute, then this type of help is what you’ll need.

What Are the Pros and Cons of Hiring a Consultancy?

There are several pros and cons to hiring a consultancy. You need to take each one seriously. After all, they would determine whether or not you’re on the right path to hiring what’s best for your business.

Pro number 1: Hiring a consultancy may be cheaper because you will only be paying for the services that you need.

Pro number 2: Hiring a consultant also means that you will be working with an expert. They can help with decision making, build long-term structures for your business, and more.

Pro number 3: Communicating your needs and getting feedback would be quicker because you will only interact with one person.

However, there are also some cons to hiring a consultancy or a consultant.

Con number 1: Some consultants fail to deliver agreed-upon output.

Con number 2: Some consultants disappear without any explanation which could delay the progress of your company or business.

Con number 3: Not all consultants have few clients. Therefore, your desired one-on-one experience may not be achieved.

​​

What Are the Pros and Cons of Hiring a Marketing Agency?

Working with a marketing agency also comes with a slew of pros and cons. You need to familiarise yourself with each one before making a final decision.

Pro number 1: Years of experience is just some of the benefits you’d get if you hire an agency. Since marketing agencies are not considered small scale, chances are they have already worked with several other companies. So, you will definitely learn a thing or two from them.

Pro number 2: Marketing agencies are niche-focused. This means that they will be able to help you depending on what type of business you have.

Pro number 3: Hiring a marketing agency means avoiding high-risk situations. Since you will be dealing with an entire company, they cannot just disappear from you. Since they also have a reputation to protect, they won’t go anywhere until they get things done.

Pro number 4: Marketing agencies can also help you with scaling your business. Since they know what works well and what doesn’t, they can help you refocus.

And just like with hiring a consultancy, there are also some downsides or cons to hiring marketing agencies.

Con number 1: Hiring marketing agencies means investing a huge chunk of your money into paying them. And mind you, they are not cheap. Other than paying for their services, you also need to pay for other things. This would require you to shell out more money.

Con number 2: Even though there are hundreds of thousands of marketing agencies available in your area, not everyone can be considered an expert in your field or niche. As such, one of the cons to hiring a marketing agency is not being able to find the right one for your business.

Con number 3: Since marketing agencies usually have several clients, you can’t expect them to give you more time and attention compared to the other businesses that they are also handling. So, if you are looking for immediate results or a quicker turnaround time, going for this option might not work best for you.

The Verdict

At the end of the day, deciding on whether to hire a consultancy or a marketing agency would all depend on what your needs are, how much budget you have, how much time you can spare, and what kind of business you are handling. You must take into account all these factors before deciding which one you would invest your money on. Remember that your goal is to make sure that whichever one you hire can help boost your business in terms of following, sales, and more.

If you need more help deciding, there are a lot of materials that you can find online. But the bottom line is always the same: do not hire consultants or marketing agencies without interviewing them first. Always make sure to research what services they offer. And do not be shy with asking questions. After all, you just want to make sure that you would get your money’s worth.