Men’s golf finishes fourth behind strong showings

0
69
Luke O'Neill swings during the first round of the Big 12 Golf Championship at Prairie Dunes Country Club on April 26, 2021. (Archive photo by Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

The Hawkeye Invitational wrapped up on Sunday with Kansas State men’s golf finishing in fourth behind top-ten finishes from senior Will Hopkins and freshman Laurenz Schiergen.

The Wildcats shot three-over-par 291 in the final round, moving up one spot on the leaderboard.

Schiergen shot a one-under par-71 third round to jump into the top-ten. This is the second straight match where he has accomplished this feat.

Hopkins put up one of the strongest performances of his senior season. He shot a one-under par-71 final round and tied for eighth in the invitational.

“I’m proud of how the guys hung in there today,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “Laurie and Will both were solid all weekend.”

Sophomore Luke O’Neill also shot a one-under par-71 final round, helping him jump up 14 spots into a tie for 27th place.

“Luke had a nice bounce-back today,” Robbins said.

In the end, it wasn’t enough to top in-state rival Kansas — the 28th ranked team in the nation — as the Jayhawks secured the victory in the invitational. Kansas shot 12-under as a team.

“We had a high count today,” Robbins said. “It definitely wasn’t our best tournament, but the fight was there.”

Junior Tim Tillmanns finished 11-over and freshman Nicklaus Mason tallied a six-over. Redshirt freshman Cooper Schultz finished in a tie for 62nd place with a 14-over as he competed for himself this weekend.

“This [tournament] is something we can learn from and get better at going forward,” Robbins said.

The conclusion of the tournament marks the end of the regular season. K-State will start Big 12 Championship play on Monday, April 25.