A Guide to the Pride Festivities

0
25

The LGBTQIA+ community is proud and loud, and very much festive

In June each year, the world celebrates the anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising. This is the historical event that kick-started the LGBTQIA+ movement around the globe. In celebration, there are hundreds of Pride parades every month. Other than outlandish outfits, these parades consist of extravagant floats, seminars, demonstrations, marches, spontaneous parties, concerts, film festivals, and more.

Since the first parade in 1970, parades have expanded from day activities to month-long celebrations. In addition, these festivities continue to attract people from all walks of life, regardless of their sexual orientation or identity. Past parades were celebrated with chants of protests and stones. Now they are celebrated in glitter and pride colors.

Pro Tips for Festive Travel

These events are very popular, and they tend to attract hundreds of thousands of people, so if you’re planning to attend one, here are a few things you should know;

1. Book Early

If there’s anything that requires a purchase or booking, do it months before the event. Accommodation, travel, or tickets are 70% cheaper if you book before the last-minute rush. If possible, get yourself a traveling agent and save your energy for the festivities. If this is not an option, consider traveling as a group. Not only is it cheaper, but it is also safer and more fun to travel with people you know.

2. Map Out the Routes Before-Hand

Take time, study the local area where the events are hosted, and look at the routes. You’ll have an easier time getting around.

3. Get the Hang of It

For straight people or allies, try and familiarize yourself with terms in the LGBTQIA community. One great option is Taimi Wiki, and you’re sure not to have any slip-ups. This database includes academic, slang, and common use language.

So, here are some of the biggest, most popular LGBTQ events you should look out for in 2022.

Most Popular LGBTQ Events in 2022

1. New York Pride Parade: 15th-26th June

A product of the Heritage of Pride organization, the New York pride events are inarguably the most popular worldwide. All these events are a commemoration of the Stonewall Uprising, which birthed the modern Gay Rights Movement.

The official theme for 2022 is “Unapologetically Us.” The parade starts on June 26th at noon.

The non-profit that organizes and produces pride events in NYC rebranded its identity to reflect the diversity of the community it serves. It uplifts its members while working towards a discrimination-free future.

These events are open to LGBTQIA+ individuals and allies, and other people can watch live coverage on Facebook and YouTube.

2. The Taiwan Parade: 27th – 30th October

Considering most Asian countries aren’t as LGBTQIA friendly, The Taipei Gay Pride Parade attracts over 100,000 people from across the world. This 4-day event is a vibrant affair that starts from the Kaidagelan Boulevard and ends back in the Gay Village. There are three different routes, and the match lasts for approximately two hours.

The Taiwan Parade attracts people from China, Japan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. This makes for a truly magical and cultural experience for everyone involved.

Pride parades attract millions of people worldwide

3. Circuit Festival Asia: 3rd-5th June

This has to be the biggest international gay event in the LGBTQIA community. Hosted in Thailand, the festivities include 4 big parties, including the Water Park Day.

This year’s event is a collaboration of the biggest creators in Asia, White Party Bangkok, the S2O Songkran Music Festival, and the producers of the Barcelona Circuit Festival. This is an assurance of an epic, memorable event you wouldn’t want to miss for anything. Early bird tickets are already sold out, so ensure you get your regular ticket as soon as possible.

4. The Lazy Bear Week: 1st – 8th August

If long marches are not your thing, you should get your tags to the Lazy Bear Week.

Each year, thousands of big, burly men, Bears gather for a weekend of socializing in Guerneville. This signature event consists of live entertainment, bonfires, pool parties, dance parties, and great DJs. You can dine at local diners, gourmet restaurants, or cookouts while enjoying world-class wine from the numerous vineyards.

Other interesting activities include hiking, wine-tasting, biking, or club-hopping. Alternatively, you can opt to laze around and stay true to the cause! Either way, there is something for everyone. Even those who are not queer can enjoy scenic coastlines, world-class wineries, pristine beaches, and majestic redwoods.

All proceeds from these events go to charity, and so far, they’ve managed to raise well over $2 million. Tickets go for $200, and the site also has a donate button.

5. Drag Me to St Francis on June 16th

This event is a collaboration of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus and The Westin St. Francis. The celebrations are a day-long affair of drag and entertainment.

This signature event will be hosted at the Grand Ballroom. You can expect to witness the most extravagant drag show in San Francisco. Headliners for the show include Lady Bunny, William from RuPaul’s Drag Race, Meatball, and Stasha Sanchez.

All proceeds from the show will go towards the San Francisco gay men’s chorus. Doors will open at 7PM while the show begins at 8.30PM. For $125, you get a reserved seat at the VIP Meet & Greet with the queens. $75 gets you admission at open seating, while $45 gets you admittance to the Standing Room.

Conclusion

LGBTQIA+ celebrations are vibrant, eccentric, cultural, and magical, and you definitely want to be a part of it all. What are some of the parades or events you think should be on this list? Share your thoughts with us. We would love to hear from you!