The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

How to Find the Best Online Korean Classes for You: Tips and Tricks

As Korea has become a popular tourist destination, learning the language has never been more important. Even if you have no plan of traveling to South Korea anytime soon, learning Korean can still be a valuable asset. It’s a unique and interesting language that is growing in popularity all over the world.

But where to find the best Korean classes online? From introductory courses for beginners to more in-depth sessions, there’s bound to be a Korean class that fits your needs. And also without leaving the comfort of your home.

The Benefits of Online Classes Compared to In-Person Classes

Korean online classes have many benefits that make them a great option for students of all ages.

More Convenient

For one, you can take them from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. You’re not tied to one area so you can take your Korean language class from the comfort of your home. Or relax in a cafe while traveling in Korea.

Less Expensive

Additionally, online classes are often more affordable than traditional courses. Since you’re not paying for rent and utilities, that saving is passed on to the student.

Learn at your own pace

Online courses offer more flexibility than in-person Korean classes. You can choose your schedule and pace of learning, so you can learn at a time and speed that’s convenient for you.

On the other hand, in-person classes typically follow a set curriculum with little room for customization.

Provide access to a community of Korean language learners

Students can connect with classmates worldwide. Plus, learn about Korean culture and perspective. In-person classes, by contrast, are limited to those who live in the same geographic area.

For these reasons, Korean language online classes offer significant advantages over traditional courses. In summary, students who like online classes can enjoy greater convenience and so on.

Factors to Consider When Choosing an Online Korean Course

With so many different Korean language classes, how can you be sure you’re selecting the right one?

Here’s what to look for when joining one:

The instructor

The instructor should be a native speaker of Korean and should have experience teaching the language. It’s also important that they have a good teaching style that is engaging and easy to follow.

The material covered in the course

Make sure it covers all the basic grammar and vocabulary needed to start speaking Korean. It should also include interactive exercises and audio/video materials to help you practice what you’re learning.

Cost of the course

Some are free online Korean classes, while others have a monthly or yearly subscription fee. Again, there’s no right or wrong answer – it all depends on your budget and how much you’re willing to spend.

Structure of the class

Some classes are self-paced, while others move through the material at a set pace. Some classes are entirely in Korean, while others use a mix of English and Korean. Consider your learning style when making your decision.

The schedule

What days and times will the class start? Does it fit with your availability?

Check the class’s time zone, as this can be a factor if you’re not in the same location as the instructor.

Consider your level

If you’re a beginner, you’ll want to find a class that starts with the basics, like the Korean alphabet. On the other hand, if you’re already conversational in Korean, you’ll want to make sure the class is challenging enough to help you continue improving.

With these factors in mind, you’ll be well on your way to finding the perfect online Korean courses for you.

Tips to Get the Most Out of Korean Class

Learning a new language can be both exciting and exhausting. But with the help of an online class, you can make the process a little easier.

Here are a few tips to continue with online Korean language classes:

1. Set aside some dedicated study time each day or week. Just like with any other class, setting aside some dedicated time to study will help you stay on track and make progress. 
  2. Ensure all resources are at your disposal. In addition to assignments, there are often a wealth of other Korean lessons, such as grammar guides, vocabulary lists, and so on. These resources can help you understand the material and retain what you’ve learned.
  3. Practice speaking and writing as often as possible. One way to do this with Koreans is to find native speakers to chat with online or meet up in person. This will help you practice your writing and speaking skills and expose you to a different style.
  4. Be patient with yourself. Learning new foreign languages takes more time and effort, so don’t expect to be fluent overnight. Take a step at a time, and enjoy the language learning process.

As the world becomes more interconnected, those who can speak Korean will have a distinct advantage in many ways. So if you’re looking for a good reason to learn Korean, know there are many good reasons why you should never stop learning this amazing language.

Donate to Kansas State Collegian

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kansas State University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.