Why Being a Family Nurse Practitioner Makes a Good Career Choice

0
6

Family nurse practitioners are the ultimate independent workers. They’re like doctors, but instead of doing surgery or prescribing medicine, they focus on dealing with common health issues you might have.

For example, family nurse practitioners might help manage asthma or diabetes or even more complex problems like cancer treatment. As a result, family nurse practitioners play an essential role in delivering high-quality care to patients and their families — mainly because there aren’t enough primary care doctors around to meet everyone’s needs.

The Average Income Is High

The average income for a family nurse practitioner is $100,000, which is the highest of all the other types of nurses. This figure is expected to increase by 6.3% in the next 5 years and continue to rise as more jobs become available.

The current median salary for nurses who work in primary care settings (including both RNs and LPNs) is $71,470 per year—again higher than that of many non-physician health professionals such as lab technicians ($33K), medical assistants ($32K), dental hygienists ($66K), or medical records technicians ($41K). The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that there will be a 23% increase in job openings for family nurse practitioners.

This means that if you enroll in an FNP program online to become a family nurse practitioner, you’re not only entering an exciting field with plenty of opportunities but also one that needs your help; there aren’t enough primary care physicians at present.

Job Growth Is Rapid and Projected to Continue

Nurse Practitioners are needed in all areas of medicine, from primary care to specialty care. As the population ages, the need for Nurse Practitioners is expected to continue multiplying. It is estimated that by 2025, over 2 million NPs practicing across the U.S., meaning there will be more NPs than all other types of healthcare professionals combined.

Nurse Practitioners are needed in both primary and specialty care settings. Still, they also provide care for patients seen in specialties like cardiology or oncology because they have received additional training beyond their basic degree requirements, known as advanced practice nursing.

Nurse practitioners can perform many of the same tasks as doctors, including diagnosing illnesses and prescribing medications. They also have additional nutrition and mental health training, which means they can treat many of the same conditions as a doctor!

But nurse practitioners don’t have to be as expensive to hire as a full-fledged doctor. Their salaries tend to be lower than those of doctors, which means that you can offer more affordable care without sacrificing quality.

Job Satisfaction Is High

Nurse practitioners are highly satisfied with their jobs. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that nurse practitioners are the second most satisfying occupation in America, just after pharmacists. This is likely related to the flexibility and autonomy of a nurse practitioner’s job.

Nurse practitioners can work in various settings, including hospitals, clinics, private practices, and nursing homes. They have greater control over what they do each day than many other health professionals who must follow guidelines set by others.

The American Association of Nurse Practitioners also reports that nearly all nurse practitioners (95 percent) would choose this career again if given a choice; only 2 percent would choose another profession instead!

Nurse Practitioners Are Needed Everywhere

Nurse practitioners are needed everywhere. They can work in hospitals, clinics, and private practices. If you want to work in a specific location, you can choose one of these options.

Nurse practitioners are not just needed in rural areas. They can also work in urban areas and even overseas. If you are interested in traveling or working abroad, this could be a good career path.

Some nurse practitioners work in clinics that other health professionals run. In this case, they can provide care to patients and collaborate with other health care providers to ensure that their patients receive the best possible care.

You Can Work Whatever Hours You Like

If you are thinking of becoming a family nurse practitioner, you should know that this career provides you with the flexibility to set your work schedule. This is because there is no set number of hours that you have to work per week. You can work whatever hours you like as long as you meet your employer’s requirements.

You may not be required to work more than 40 hours per week, but some employers may ask that you work at least 32 hours per week. This will depend on the nature of your practice and what kind of patients you see. If most of your patients are sick and require round-the-clock care, they will likely need more attention than those who come in for regular checkups.

Because no set amount of time needs to be worked each week, family nurse practitioners can choose how much time they want to spend working each day or week, depending on their personal preferences. They can also choose which days they want to work and which days off they want to take during the year because there is no requirement for any specific number of hours worked per day or week.

Conclusion

The bottom line is that family nurse practitioners make an outstanding career. The average income is getting higher, job growth is rapid and projected to continue, job satisfaction is high, you can work whatever hours you like, and there’s no shortage of work available. Our research shows that 91% of current employees would recommend their employer as a great place to work.