Shot fired in Aggieville, second incident of calendar year

0
1597
Construction on Manhattan Avenue continues as the 2022-2023 school year begins. (Archive photo by Mena Walker | Collegian Media Group)

Editor’s note: In the original published version of this article and in the print edition, Aaron Wintermote’s last name was incorrectly spelled as “Wintermoore.” Upon realizing our mistake, we immediately updated this published article with the correct spelling of Mr. Wintermote’s last name. The Collegian gives its sincerest apologies to Mr. Wintermote for this error and to our readers for any confusion this mistake may have caused.

Aaron Wintermote, Riley County public information officer, said around 2 a.m. on Aug. 27, 2022, a foot patrol officer heard a gunshot at the intersection of 12th and Moro Street. He then rushed to the scene.

“Several witnesses told the officer there was a verbal altercation,” Wintermote said. “A man then pulled out a gun and shot into the ground.” 

The shooter was Brently Crider, a 23-year-old Manhattan resident. Police detained and arrested him on North 11th Street, Wintermote said. 

“He was arrested on charges of aggravated assault and criminal possession of a weapon,” Wintermote said. “He is being held on a $50,000 bond.” 

Wintermote said no one was hurt in the altercation, but a separate injury occurred the same night around 2 a.m. 

“A man with injuries showed up at the hospital after two citizens found him in an alley,”  Wintermote said. “He had severe head injuries.”

Wintermote said the victim was transferred to Stormfront Vail Hospital in Topeka for further treatment of a brain bleed and they are searching for more information to explain his injuries.

Kassidy Andrist, sophomore in psychology, said she avoids Aggieville because of the two incidents involving gunfire this calendar year and others’ violent actions scare her.

“I know that I personally would never get in a fight, but the fact that someone would pull out a gun after an argument is terrifying,” Andrist said. “I do not want to go to Aggieville because there is a fear in the back of my head that I could be a bystander and get hurt.”

“I want to remind people that these situations almost always happen around bar close,” Wintermote said. “So even if you just leave a little early, it can help prevent you from being caught in these situations.” 

Daniel Arenas Ramirez, graduate teaching assistant in modern language, said he often goes to Aggieville and leaves the area around the time the bars close.

“I did not realize violence incidents often happen at this time,” Ramirez said. “I do not want to get caught in those situations.” 

Wintermote said students and Manhattan residents need to be careful in Aggieville, especially with two violent instances occurring in one night. 

“There are two officers on foot patrol on weekends, and as many as possible during bar close,” Wintermote said. “We also have bar checks on weekends where officers will walk through the bar.”