This week in history: Jordy Nelson sets school records against Missouri State

0
273
Former Green Bay Packer receiver, and former K-State All-American, Jordy Nelson, talks to fans at Saturday's game against Oklahoma on October 29, 2011. (Archive photo by Logan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

On Sept. 15, 2007, Jordy Nelson pulled off one of the most impressive stat lines in Kansas State history.

In head coach Ron Prince’s second year, in a game versus Missouri State, senior Nelson put together one of the best games by a K-State wide receiver in history. It was an impressive offense with a squad featuring running backs James Johnson and Leon Patton, along with quarterback Josh Freeman. With an above-average year in his first season going 7-6 overall, Coach Prince looked to improve upon the last season.

Freeman felt up to the task to take over the Wildcat offense after taking over the reins in the middle of the 2006 season. With a semi-seasoned quarterback, two returning running backs and a returning star receiver in Nelson, the Wildcats seemed to have a chance to drastically improve. 

While they didn’t quite improve on the record as they desired, there were quite a few memorable moments, one being Nelson breaking the reception and yardage records for K-State. 

In the game versus Missouri State, Nelson hauled in 15 catches and 209 yards, both records. The previous record for receptions was held by Michael Smith from 1989 when he finished a game against Missouri with 13 receptions. Later in the season, in a game against Iowa State, Nelson broke his own record for single-game receiving yards with 214 yards.  The previous record of 206 yards had been held by Darnell Mcdonald from a 1997 matchup versus Syracuse.

The record for single-game season yards was held by Nelson up until 2013 when none other than Tyler Lockett broke it not once, but twice. First in a game against Texas with 237 yards and then again against Oklahoma with 278 yards. 

K-State beat Missouri State 61-10 in this historic performance. Nelson’s receiving yards accounted for over 60 percent of the team’s passing yards and he had 15 of the team’s 29 total receptions.

Throughout the 2007 season, Nelson went on to put up 122 receptions for 1,606 yards, both of which are single-season records for the Wildcats. The Wildcats finished 5-7 on the year and 3-5 in Big 12 conference play.