7 Signs that Working with At-Risk Children is a Career Fit for You

0
8

If you find yourself drawn to working with children who face adversity and difficulties daily, this post is for you! This article discusses some signs indicating that working with at-risk children might be a good fit for you.

1. You’re Passionate about Helping Others

If you’re drawn to a career working with at-risk children, it’s likely because you have a deep passion for helping others. You want to use your skills and abilities to improve the quality of life for children facing daily challenges.

2. You’re Good at Meeting People Where They Are

When you first meet a child who’s dealing with adversity, you’ll need to learn a lot about their situation and how they’re coping. You’ll also need to be able to judge how a child feels if they’re safe in their current situation and what their hopes and dreams are. Working with at-risk children will require you to be a good listener who can read people’s body language and understand the messages they can’t express verbally.

3. You’re a Problem-Solver

No two situations you’ll encounter working with at-risk children will be the same. Instead, you’ll need to find a way to figure out what’s best for each child, as well as how to help them identify and accomplish their goals. You’ll also need to consider how your actions and interventions can positively impact their lives.

4. You’re Good at Communicating with People

Your ability to communicate effectively will serve you well in working with children who face adversity and other professionals that you’ll work closely with (e.g., social workers, teachers, etc.). Not only will you need to be able to communicate well with kids, but also (and perhaps more importantly) communicate with their caregivers so that you can help the child solve any problems/issues that they’re facing.

5. You’re Compassionate

Many at-risk children are victims of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse. That’s why they commonly develop various mental health problems, such as PTSD or depression. You’ll need great empathy for these children to understand their circumstances, effectively communicate with them, and help them overcome any challenges they face (whether it be abuse or neglect).

6. You’re Trustworthy and Reliable

The children you’ll be working with won’t likely trust many adults, so you’ll need to develop a rapport with them. You’ll also need to be able to follow through on your word when it comes to helping kids meet their goals or accomplishing tasks that will help them improve their situation.

7. You’re Patient

You’ll need to be patient when working with at-risk children because they can’t always explain what they’re experiencing. They also may not always understand your directions; that’s why you’ll need to be able to maintain a positive attitude throughout the day and provide encouragement and support for them when they need it.

In conclusion, if you’re looking for a career in working with at-risk children, this post has some good information to help determine if it’s the right career fit for you.