Kansas State ends final home match of the season with a draw

A huddle of players stand together discussing the play for a free kick on October 13th. Kansas State played Texas Tech, ending in a 0-1 loss. (Archive photo by Jersey Johnson | Collegian Media Group)

K-State ends its final home game stretch with a draw against Kansas, making their record 6-8-3 into the final regular season game.

The first minutes of play had both teams battling quickly for possession to settle in for the match. The Jayhawk’s offense held time of possession for a majority of the first half, possessing the ball in Wildcat territory often.

The Wildcats spent much of the first half defending but made tactical drives into the opponent’s territory. One charge ended in a K-State goal from redshirt junior forward Caylee Thornhill, shooting the ball into the left corner of the goal, nearly avoiding a diving save attempt by Kansas goalie Hayven Harrison.

Kansas would beat K-State in the shot department heavily, with 11 shots to K-State’s three, tied for shots on goal with two and four corner kicks to the Wildcat’s one to end the half.

Despite the goal for K-State, offensive momentum weighed heavily in the Jayhawk’s favor leading into the second half. Kansas opened the second half with a goal in the 50th minute from defender Lia Beyer, landing a shot just right of the net out of goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer’s reach.

The rest of the half showed offensive flashes for the Wildcats, starting with a shot attempt on goal called off by an offsides penalty in the 61st minute of play. Another close shot attempt was defended off a header in the 66th minute, and an additional chance for K-State saw the ball fly just over the top crossbar in the 70th minute.

Play ended fast and physically in the second half with Riley Baker getting a yellow card along with Kansas midfielder Avery Smith. The game ended with an opportunity for both teams, but time ran out before either could capitalize.

Despite the final score, K-State’s defense held strong while their offense fell behind the Jayhawks attack. Kansas totaled 21 shots to K-State’s five, seven shots on goal to K-State’s two and 11 corner kicks to K-State’s one.

K-State looks to finish strong as they are set to play their final regular season match against West Virginia at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 27, in Morgantown, West Virginia.