Chris Mann (D)
- Former police officer.
- Prosecutor in the Wyandotte County District Attorney’s Office.
- Served as Kansas Advisory Board Chair in 2011.
- Served as National Board of Directors for M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) for six years.
- Served as a prosecutor for the Kansas Securities Commission, where he helped protect Kansans against white collar criminals.
STANCE ON ISSUES:
- Supports gun ownership but advocates for gun safety
- Prioritizes enforcing drunk driving laws in Kansas
- Supports open record laws to increase legislative transparency
- Denounces “dark money” in elections, meaning funding from unknown sources
- Mann’s slogan is “Public Safety Not Politics”
- Supports the Second Amendment except for violent offenders
- Supports taxing the rich
Kris Kobach (R)
- Completed undergraduate studies in government at Harvard University
- Received Ph.D. in politics from the University of Oxford
- Received his J.D. from Yale Law School
- White House Fellowship recipient from President George W. Bush
- Elected Kansas Secretary of State in 2010
Stance on Issues:
- Against gun bans
- Supports deterring illegal immigration and denounces presence of undocumented citizens
- Supports Second Amendment
- Focus on deterring drug cartels from crossing the southern border with potentially dangerous substances
- Pushes to lower sales and income taxes
- Endorses a firmer handling of local property taxes
- Previous campaign largely focused on restoring the Brownback tax plan for Kansans
- Signed a compact in 2015 to remove Kansas from the Affordable Care Act
- Opposed the expansion of Medicaid
- Intends to defund Planned Parenthood
Editor’s note: Kris Kobach was incorrectly listed as the incumbent in the print edition. Kobach served as the former secretary of state, but has not held office as the attorney general. The Collegian apologizes for this error and any confusion it may have caused.