From Norman to Manhattan, Gabby Gregory reflects on season

0
693
After the shot rebounds, senior guard Gabby Gregory grabs the ball during the game against Fort Hays State on October 31, 2022 at Bramlage Coliseum. The wildcats won 74-63. After the shot rebounds, senior guard Gabby Gregory grabs the ball during the game against Fort Hays State on October 31, 2022 at Bramlage Coliseum. The wildcats won 74-63. (Reece Bachta | Collegian Media Group)

Gabby Gregory began the 2022 season with a hot start, helping K-State win 10 out of 11 non-conference games, averaging a career-high 20.2 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. 

Gregory spent her first three years at the University of Oklahoma under head coach Sherri Coale before entering the transfer portal.

“I was interested in K-State when I was in high school,” Gregory said. “I ultimately chose Oklahoma, but I was very close with K-State staff. Even coming out of high school they were in my top five. So when I entered the transfer portal, obviously I still had that connection.”

Gregory’s relationships with K-State staff and faculty made her feel at home and helped her move seamlessly from Oklahoma to K-State.

“Coach Mittie drove to Norman to sit down with me and my family, you know, and just do a visit with us,” Gregory said. “So entering the portal and talking to them was super easy, just because I already had that connection.”

Gregory said relationships with the young players helps build chemistry and cohesion within the team. Sophomores Serena Sundell, Jaelyn Glenn and Brylee Glenn have taken a large step in helping bolster the team.

Sundell improved on her numbers from last season averaging 12.4 points, 6.1 rebounds and 5.2 steals per game. 

“The twins and Serena, they just continue to get better as the season goes on,” Gregory said. “They all had great freshman years and coming into the closing non-conference schedule I think they’re all getting better every game.”

Freshman Eliza Maupin has slowly played more minutes as the season has progressed. She had over 20 minutes of playing time in each of her last two games, scoring 10 points in her last game against UMKC.

“Eliza Maupin has proven that she is an incredible basketball player,” Gregory said. “Her growth just from the first weeks in June to now. It’s just a huge improvement that she’s made, and obviously her ceiling is very high.”

Gregory’s own drive for basketball began with her father. He’s played a huge role in her basketball career, pushing her to be her best in the face of adversity.

“He’s always the one that has not only motivated me, but he’s always been the one to hold me accountable,” Gregory said. 

Moving forward, Gregory and the team look to keep the wins coming as they move closer to conference play. 

“I want to finish out non-conference undefeated at home. I think that would be an incredible thing to go into conference play.” Gregory said. “If we could stay undefeated at home throughout the season, that would be huge. The fans at Bramlage are incredible, so that would be something that is definitely attainable.”

K-State fans will have to wait until New Year’s to watch conference play begin, but this exciting start to the season provides a level of confidence in the strong veteran leaders on the team, especially in Gregory.