Shematsi shines against Oklahoma State

0
210
Forward Sarah Shematsi makes a move to the basket while guarded by a UMKC defender. The K-State women’s basketball team defeated UMKC 72-45. (Archive photo by Jersey Johnson | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State bounced back against Oklahoma State after an early deficit, winning 86-72 and moving to 12-3 (1-1) in conference play.

K-State had a slow start to the game, starting down 9-0 in the first few minutes of play. After a quick timeout by Jeff Mittie, K-State was able to create offensive rhythm, fighting back to tie the Cowgirls by the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter saw plenty of offense by both teams, going back and forth on possessions. K-State would make a 16-10 run and push a seven-point lead going into the half. Three players for K-State recorded double figures in scoring by half.

The Cowgirls came into the half much like the start of the game, with a fast offense, quickly putting up points to keep pace with the Wildcats. K-State struggled shooting in the quarter, only making 38% of their shots from the field. They would maintain a six-point lead into the fourth.

Oklahoma State crept closer to tying in the fourth, capitalizing off of K-State’s offensive mistakes and closing within two points of a tie. Defense for both teams began locking in with empty possessions by both teams within four minutes of the quarter.

With under four minutes left K-State took the momentum back to their offense, scoring 11 points off four possessions. Gabby Gregory, after sitting out due to injury against Texas, put up over 25 points in her return, including two 3-pointers to seal the game for K-State.

The story of the night for K-State was Sarah Shematsi who put up a career-high 11 rebounds with 25 points. Shematsi stepped up and provided good shooting, complementing Gregory’s points in the paint.

“Sarah was huge all the way around,” Mittie said. “Inside, outside she moved herself around very well and her teammates did a great job of getting the ball in those spots. So, good win for us. Good bounce back win for us. And yeah, it feels really good after how poorly we played on Saturday.”

Turnovers made a major difference in K-State’s performance against Oklahoma State versus Texas. K-State committed 24 turnovers in their loss against Texas and only lost 9 turnovers to the Cowgirls.

K-State will look to advance to 2-1 in league play, returning to Bramlage at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 7, against West Virginia.