UPDATE: Baseball falls to Nebraska after a cold-hitting performance

0
336
Heavy-hitters meet in Manhattan
Freshman Mason Buss lines up for a pitch against Stonehill on March 6. K-State baseball finished strong with a 6-5 win. (Jersey Johnson | Collegian Media Group)

Editor’s note: The first game in the Texas series, originally scheduled for Thursday, was delayed due to weather conditions. The first game will now be played on Friday, and the article has been updated with the new dates.

It was a warm and windy evening in the Little Apple when the Kansas State Wildcats baseball team fell 6-1 to its former Big 12 rival, the Nebraska Cornhuskers. With this loss, the Wildcats move to 19-12 overall and 5-4 in Big 12 play.

The wind played a large factor in the ballpark, with heavy gusts blowing through the stands. Early play saw both teams take advantage of dropped balls flying into the outfield, helping set up early scores in the second inning.

Mason Buss got the start for the Wildcats at pitcher, going up against Nebraska’s Caleb Clark. Buss came into this matchup undefeated with a 3-0 record. In his five innings pitched, he recorded only five hits, four strikeouts and one earned run.

Clark only played two innings for the Cornhuskers, giving up the single run of the Wildcat’s evening. K-State accumulated three hits and suffered two strikeouts while scoring one earned run against Clark.

The first scores of the game came in the second inning, where designated hitter Garrett Anglim hit a sacrifice fly, allowing one runner to score. A single from right fielder Cole Evans followed, giving Nebraska a 2-0 lead.

Right fielder Cash Rugely placed the Wildcats on the board in the bottom of the second with a double, sending designated hitter Jayden Lobliner home. 

Scoring didn’t return until the sixth inning when pitchers took advantage of the wind. K-State had opportunities to score but well-struck balls flew just shy of the wall. The Cornhuskers added insurance runs when shortstop Brice Mathiews hit a double with the bases loaded, putting Nebraska up 4-1.

Nebraska topped off the scoring in the ninth with a homer from second baseman Max Anderson and a double from catcher Josh Caaron, sending his second baseman home for the final score of 6-1.

“We weren’t very opportunistic, that’s for sure,” head coach Pete Hughes said. “We had our opportunities to win the game. When you leave 11 guys on bases, at some point someone has to get a hit, and sometimes that’s the game of baseball.” 

K-State moves into the weekend series against a familiar Big 12 opponent, the Texas Longhorns, at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in Austin, Texas.