K-State suffers its first loss to Vanderbilt

0
130
Forward Riley Baker works to box out a Creighton defender. Kansas State tied with the Bluejays on Aug. 27 with a 0-0 score. (Avery Johnson | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State soccer falls to 2-1-2 on the season after a loss at Vanderbilt because of a second-half penalty goal. 

In the first half, the Commodores had full offensive advantage, putting up five shots and limiting the Wildcats to only two shot attempts. K-State failed to find a steady offense until the second half of play.

Entering the second half, the Wildcats took back offensive momentum, putting up five shots with no result. Vanderbilt continued to pressure the Wildcat defense, recording five additional shots in the half.

In the 66th minute of play, Vanderbilt took advantage of a foul kick, with the ball landing in the back left of the net to take a 1-0 lead. The Wildcats would try to rally but fell short with the remaining time.

Penalties were a nagging concern throughout the game, causing frustration for both sides. Both teams totaled 22 fouls, with one eventually deciding the match. 

Goalkeeper Murphy Sheaff ended her consecutive streak of shutouts in goal, allowing a score for the first time since Aug. 17 in the Wildcats’ match against Green Bay. Sheaff had a solid night, recording four saves and facing five shots on goal. 

K-State’s offense struggled for the second straight game, not recording a goal since its past win over UTSA. Forward Riley Baker recorded two shots along with forward Jo Sees, continuing to make an impact in K-State’s offense.

The Wildcats return to Manhattan to face off against Nebraska at 8 p.m. Sunday in Bruser Family Stadium.