Oral Roberts rallies in the second half against K-State soccer 

A goal from forward Maddie Weichel (22) results in a celebration with fellow forward Riley Baker (19). Kansas State soccer lost 2-1 to Oral Roberts on Sept. 10 while playing through adverse weather. (Avery Johnson | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State soccer fell to 2-4-2 after a 2-1 loss to Oral Roberts on a windy and rainy evening in Manhattan.

K-State got off to a fast start, keeping tight possession and making defenders battle for the ball. Momentum quickly built for the Wildcats as effective passing helped open up scoring opportunities early.

The Wildcats were able to shoot six shots, four on goal through the first six minutes of play, putting pressure on the Golden Eagles’ defense.

Pressure from K-State resulted in the first goal in four games for the Wildcats with a low strike from forward Maddie Weichel in the 14th minute of play to the bottom right of the net, putting the Wildcats up 1-0.

Entering halftime, K-State limited Oral Roberts to only four shots on the night, keeping momentum entering the second half. This momentum would be short-lived as the Golden Eagles entered the second half playing with more urgency and tempo.

Weather and fatigue played a factor in the second half for both teams. Strong wind speeds and rain affected ball flight, and the momentum and speed from the Wildcats dissipated as Oral Roberts would go on a 6-3 shot advantage through the first 14 minutes of the half.

Golden Eagle forward Samantha Sees capitalized on an awarded penalty kick with a strike to the bottom right of the net, tying the score in the 64th minute of play.

Oral Roberts continued pressuring the Wildcat defense, scoring seven minutes later with another low shot to the bottom left of the net from midfielder Julia Thasaphong for the game-winning goal.

The Wildcats tried to create momentum for a late push to tie but fell short. 

“Disappointing result,” head coach Mike Dibbini said.  “We got enough opportunity to separate this game away and we kept the team in the match and you know a team that’s feeding off some good energy. When you keep a time like that in the match it becomes more difficult and challenging.” 

K-State will look to get back on track later this week, opening league play at 7 p.m. Thursday against Cincinnati at Buser Family Stadium.