K-State beats Little Rock with efficient rebounding

0
344
Center Ayoka Lee shoots a jump shot against Presbyterian in the 69-35 season opening win. Lee has scored a 46 points through two games, with 32 points and 10 rebounds against Little Rock. (Macey Franko | Collegian Media Group)

Editor’s note: Corrected Iowa Cyclones to Iowa Hawkeyes.

Kansas State women’s basketball builds off of its dominant premiere performance with a 77-39 victory against Little Rock.

The first quarter saw K-State settle into its offensive rhythm, with interior pressure on the Little Rock defense. In its last game, shooting beyond the arc became a concern, and K-State’s shooting continued to struggle as the Wildcats went 3-21 on the night.

Despite the inefficient 3-point shooting, K-State was able to create offensive points off turnovers and fastbreak points. In total, Little Rock committed 18 turnovers to K-State’s 10. 

Along with keeping possession of the basketball, rebounding was the true defining factor for the match. K-State outrebounded Little Rock 47-28, with second-chance opportunities resulting in greater scoring efficiency from K-State’s offense.

A major contributor to rebounding was center Ayoka Lee, who continues to dominate in the interior. Lee recorded a double-double on the night scoring 32 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks. This performance totals Lee’s 50th double-double in her collegiate career.

Another large contributor in the match was guard Zyanna Walker, who recorded 10 points and seven rebounds as a rotational player. Along with Walker and Lee was guard Gabby Gregory who recorded seven rebounds despite a poor shooting performance.

With the win, K-State snaps an 11-game road losing streak dating back to their loss against NC State in the 2022 NCAA tournament.

Next up for the Wildcats is the No. 3 Iowa Hawkeyes at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. The rematch comes after the Wildcats hosted and defeated the NCAA March Madness runner-up 84-83 at home last season.